2015-05-06

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1521 - Sword In The Stone

That seems like an awful lot of hassle when all I wanted was a cool sword.

I'm finding it very hard to suspend my disbelief for someone having access to Wikipedia and also needing to look up "England". Explainxkcd argues that The Chosen One is just looking through England's history (ha! like any country other than America has 'history'), but I disagree in this case, given the absence of a panel where she's going "hmm" or something to that effect. It looks more like just she doesn't want the responsibility, rather than being frightened off by all the ways English monarchs have died.

This is also one of the rare occasions where I think color would have lent the comic something. A beam of light is shining down on The Chosen One and a heavenly voice is coming down, I'd have used some yellow for those. I know he's going for the 'mystical' look, but I think that it being in light gray while the rest is in black just makes it look background and unimportant, a la #838. In color, it'd be bolder, more suited to something that parallels the voice of God so obviously.

Continuing backwards, the premise is also lacking in originality. Lots of Chosen Ones have refused the call over the years. That's even the second step of the typical hero's journey. My personal favorite example is Triangle, from Triangle And Robert.

Speaking of those music notes in the third panel, I just released a new album, consisting predominantly of music, which you can (as usual) buy for a price of your choice or stream/download it for free. Go listen to it! It has my vocals on two tracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment