2015-05-05

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1520 - Degree-Off

I'M SORRY, FROM YOUR YEARS OF CONDESCENDING TOWARD THE 'SQUISHY SCIENCES', I ASSUMED YOU'D BE A LITTLE HARDER.

I'm confused. Isn't Randy the same person who made this? Again, I wonder how many XKCDs I could review by replying with another XKCD comic. If we take #435 as a legitimate argument, it pretty much totally refutes this one.

I find it interesting how I've taken to using words like "refute" in reference to how my reviews go. I'd like to think that says something about how often Randy uses XKCD as a way to express his opinions rather than say jokes, but it probably says more about how the guy running an XKCD-hate blog has too many axes to grind.

As long as we're taking this comic as a straight-up argument, that graph needs a source or something. If I had one of Randy's "[CITATION NEEDED]" stickers, I'd put one right on panel three. And you'd all see it, because that's how awesome I am at attaching stickers to things.

It's also really unfair, argument-wise, to have Physics essentially say a joke, and have Bio leap down his throat like some kind of feminist. #JokesThatWillLoseMeReaders

If I were in Physics' position, and it's not necessarily the side I'd take, here's the counterargument that I'd make:
You can cure all the diseases you want, that won't help at all if a meteor's headed towards the Earth. Physics would be the one to build spaceships we can escape to Mars on. Physics would be the one to make other planets habitable so that humanity can spread throughout the universe, creating new life. Physics would be the one to stop the heat-death of the universe (which physics discovered, by the way) and stop humanity's extinction, 10^{10^{120}} years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment