2015-05-02

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1519 - Venus

The sudden introduction of Venusian flowers led to an explosive growth of unusual Earth pollinators, which became known as the "butterfly effect."

This could be funny to someone else, and I could see why, but it just pisses me off.

See, in my life I've had a few teachers who just didn't give a shit, at all. Like for 11th grade physics, I had this guy named Mr. Guilmain who literally wouldn't teach. I don't mean he was bad or he didn't explain things enough, I mean he did stuff like show us his vacation photos and tell us about how if we're not agnostic we're wrong. I hope he gets cancer made of AIDS.
Also, he's my explanation for not getting any of the physics jokes XKCD's put out. The only thing I learned in his class was that A=M/F or something like that, and that was from him showing a video of a different teacher (a video he paid more than a hundred dollars for).

In 12th grade, my French teacher would read, or have someone read, the translation of a piece, and we would write down what they said, and then we'd hand in what we wrote for a grade. It was the most pointless thing.

Don't get me wrong, I did have a lot of awesome teachers that really helped me learn the material and made look forward to class every day, but that's not relevant right now.

TL;DR: I am unable to separate my experiences with awful teachers from my reading of this comic, even if said comic is intentionally over the top.

[EDIT, one day later:] Commenter "Fake Name" points out that SMBC has done this same joke before, except instead of the teacher just saying more or less random things, there's a structure to it, built around a pun.

No comments:

Post a Comment