2016-06-06

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1862 - Bun


I am not going to insult Randy by implying that he actually wrote this comic.

This is a really interesting experiment, having a comic ghostwritten, but only one comic in an extended sequence. It reminds me of those soda taste tests that happened right before Billy Joel wrote "We Didn't Start The Fire", or those science experiments I read about that one time where people tasted food differently when it was under different lights or colored wrong. It's always interesting to be reminded that the majority of our perceptions are affected by how they're framed and presented to us.

Oh! Oh! I thought of two more examples! That one time Gordon Ramsey pretended he'd made something another guy made and that one time that people pretended McNuggets had been organically grown!

It's like how if you heard this instrumental that was kinda crap but it was labeled as a lost Beatles song, you'd give it more of a chance then if you knew it was actually from some random jam band. In the same way, Randy is making people take a second look at this piece of garbage made by some twelve year old who gets all their humor from other twelve year olds on tumblr. Extra points go to Randy for just having the peripubescent write it, letting him do the drawing. If you didn't give Randy any credit at all, you would almost think that he was a miserable enough writer to make this himself.

However, I spotted it right away. While it's obvious I'm not Randall's biggest fan, he's made me laugh in the past, I expect him to do so again, and I know that he would never lower himself to such a level. Because if he did, he would be openly displaying that he doesn't just find it cute but actively funny when people say "bun" instead of "rabbit" or "birb" instead of "bird". Randy would be admitting to us all that he has not progressed as a writer since eighth grade.

So, since this comic wasn't written by Randall, I am not going to be doing my usual full analysis of the 'humor'. It's pretty obvious how empty and contentless this comic is, anyway. I have no doubt that any member of my audience can see for themselves that this comic is cutsy nothing bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment