2016-06-01

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1678 - Recent Searches & #1679 - Substitutions 3

autoexec code posted by verified twitter users

My first reaction, which I think mirrored the first reaction of many long-term XKCD readers, was "Hasn't he done this before?". And then my second reaction was "oh, not really, but the first one was still better".

My finalish reaction, after reading it a few times, is "I get what this joke is probably trying to convey, but the only thing I understand about it is the 'opposite of safe mode' part".

This is totally going to get me one of those "Greg isn't smart enough for XKCD" responses, but I like to think about myself as an average consumer who will probably know about 90% of the references that other average consumers will get. That probably isn't the most honest way to look at Greg Greenwell as A Person, but I think the point stands: I am, in my ignorance, confronting this comic as if I was one of the commoners. (I'm not though, I'm much better than you. I have a blog.)

A close reading reveals two extra jokes that I can understand, but if I weren't reading this comic specifically to review it, I would not have given it that close reading. Whenever I see a big block of text with a bunch of technical looking words, and it's not going to education me, my eyes just slip right over it. My time is valuable, damnit! I can't bother wading through gibberish just to find one or two half-decent jokes! It'd be like watching a Dane Cook comedy routine but two-thirds of it is backmasked.


This I didn't even bother reading twice since it's a joke I've already read and reviewed. Is anyone seriously clamoring for more of this shit? It's so easy to come up with, watch:

Randall → Adolf
Munroe → Hitler
Greg → God
Greenwell → himself
review → describe
XKCD → cancer
funny → worth it
Rob → male feminist
Jon → Jew boy
blog → piss puddle
joke → hate speech

No comments:

Post a Comment