2016-06-30

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1694 - Phishing Licence


This is really good from a presentation angle. We see the sign which establishes setting and scenario, and the dialogue works with that context to give us the joke. When I complain about a comic using art as window-dressing that doesn't have any impact on the joke, this is a good example of what I'm thinking of as an improvement.

The 3D rendering of the window is a really nice touch. It looks like the kind of place you would go to if you wanted to get a licence. I know I'm being a little silly, but it's just nice to feel like effort went into an XKCD.

Too bad the joke don't make no sense. I'm not 100% on how confirmation of intent to commit crime works, but I'm 99% that this particular situation wouldn't happen. We know it's an official government place if it has the power to arrest people. That means that the person applying has no reason to think what they're doing is illegal. It'd be like going to the DMV and getting arrested for doing your paperwork.

Even if phishing is illegal (which it is), applying for a licence shouldn't be. It's like how vigilante justice is illegal, but trying to become a cop isn't.

I would like to thank Randy for making this comic, though. If he hadn't made it I wouldn't have realized that I habitually misspell "licence" (I kept adding an 's').

1 comment:

  1. You didn't read the "fine print" - when bailing out you discover you weren't in the county jail.

    ReplyDelete