2016-01-28

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1630 - Quadcopter & #1631 - Longer Than Usual


I really like the concept here. I think there was a genuinely funny idea behind this comic. However, the parallel he's going for isn't executed correctly. The guy should be flying around a small quadcopter (which, just saying, is a stupid name for a thing) and then a fully grown helicopter snatches it out of the air. Having the quadcopters attack him muddies the metaphor a little. That said, I think the final punchline is still amusing, just not as amusing as it could have been.

The art is pretty iffy on this one, though. I understand why it's hard to draw quadcopters, but that doesn't change the fact that it's really hard to tell what they are from the visuals alone.


It's funny that it took me longer than usual to review this comic, huh? Let's just pretend that was intentional and also that it was funny.

It took me a minute to realize the joke, but when I did I legitimately laughed out loud. It is text only, but to be fair to Randy, I can't see it working with visuals. You'd have to make the visuals really vague for it to be interpreted in these two wildly different ways. Unless maybe you're dating an online AI? Maybe you're dating Google!?

This still loses points for being CouldBeATweet, but the end result still gets a passing grade.


Apologies for the unintentional hiatus lately. As much as I value my fanbase and as much as I enjoy putting out that #content, this blog does end up on the low end of my priority list when Real Life stuff happens. I'll do my best to catch up quickly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment