2015-03-28

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1504 - Opportunity


I'd like to thank Randy for giving me this opportunity to

As I sit here listening to "Black Widow", I must say I'm disappointed by the oh-so poor tune Iggy's made in

When browsing 8chan, I often wonder: Should I side with OP or th'unity of the replies when I

O, port-u-nightly, you truly are a great moving van company in my time of struggle with my new


I like the punchline of this one, partially because its just fun to imagine a really really old rover furiously defending an entire half of a planet, but also because it's just nicely done. It's not using the reference as a punchline, like in #1380, it's using the reference as a stepping stone to the actual punchline.

The setup feels kinda clumsy, tho. It has that really direct writing thing going on, where people will talk almost like a bad "news" article: "After six years, Spirit is down, but Opportunity is still going strong.", etc.

"Given what it did to the Mars 2020 rover..." wouldn't it be better if we saw their reaction to the destruction of the 2020 rover as it was happening, rather than three years later?

Just generally the setup in this comic reads like Randy was just trying to get the information across as unambiguously as possible without considering how people actually talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment