2014-07-09

XKCD Isn't Informational - #1392 - DOMINANT PLAYERS

http://xkcd.com/1392/

Firstly, I find it incredibly strange that Randy would make a "dominant players" chart and only include basketball and chess. This is during the height of the World Cup and there's not a mention of soccer anywhere YEAH I CALLED IT SOCCER YOU JUST TRY AND STOP ME.

It's also odd to me that Randy "All sexist jokes are terrible and so are all pickup artists*" Munroe separated chess of all things into male and female catagories. Chess, the one major sport that, unless I've been playing it drastically wrong, is decided pretty much entirely on intelligence. I could understand separating Basketball by gender, but chess? Really? Am I missing something here?

[EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that chess is separated by gender due to the lack of a large number female chess players prior to 1970, and therefore a retarded development of the gender's representation in the sport. Fair point. It's still odd to me that he picked basketball and chess to map out, and nothing else.]

Perhaps most irritatingly of all, the scales are missing any label or scale on the Y-axis, removing a large part of the actual information that's supposed to be imparted to us.


*I'm going to have to do a write up of that second comic sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment