2014-03-04

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1337 - TRANSFORMERS

fuCK


When I first looked at this comic, I gave it a pass. Maybe I was just feeling lazy. Maybe I legitimately thought it was funny after a long week. Maybe I thought xkcd-sucks, back from the dead, would take care of it. Either way, I gave it a pass.
Then I read #1337.

Disregarding how it’s weird he didn’t make a leet-speak joke, read it again. That was brilliant. The art was good where it needed to be, even if it did skimp where it didn’t, the pacing and format were pleasing, the punchline didn’t require prior knowledge, and it doesn’t make you go “wait…” after thinking about it. Even the alt-text is short and sweet, instead of the paragraph we’ve come to expect. #1337 deserves to be praised, even if only for being the best xkcd in goddamn months.
However.

Look back at the comic that disgraces the top of this review, the one this review is actually about.  The only good thing I’m going to say about it is that the trees are drawn well, but that just highlights the horrifically rendered robots.
The most obvious problem to this strip to me is the pacing. Bait-and-switches like this require little-to-no transition between the two. Keep the first and last panels, ditch the middle two. Secondly, what panel four is supposed to show is an example of metamorphosis (a.k.a.: something I learned about in preschool). Transformation, in nature, is something a bit different; replace the final panel with either a joke about that type of transformation or one about electrical transformers and the joke would be so much better.

This comic is, in a way, the easiest kind to write about: The kind where you make one or two simple changes to the joke and it’s perfectly fine (ex: “Tap That Ass”). In another way, it’s annoying, because once I’ve pointed out the two glaringly obvious flaws, there’s nothing else to say.
Anyway, don’t worry, John Levi, I’ve got this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment