2014-09-10

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1419 - ON THE PHONE


I like this comic, I think it's well put together, with decent art, a nice subversion of expectations at the end, and [insert third thing to make the list better here].

It does have some issues, though, which are mostly minor nitpicks but what else would you expect from a hateblog.

Firstly, I don't think it was a good choice to have the other person perpetually offscreen. Especially since the little 'speech coming out' thing changes height in every panel, and it's always to the left even though the onscreen person is moving left.

There're also some little "but wait..." things.
"But wait, wouldn't she notice the other person building the giant obelisk?" That is a needed concession for the joke to work, though, so I'll let it slide.
"But wait, what do teapots, hammers, and weird stacks have to do with worshiping Ba'al?" I might be misinterpreting it, but the last panel made it seem like the phone was just an excuse in every previous panel, which doesn't make sense unless Ba'al The Soul-Eater is the god of awkward teapots and cold hammers.

I have a final musing to conclude, but I'm not sure I can word it correctly. Basically, was Randy going to write another 'Get Out Of My Head Randy' relatable comic, and then when he was writing it, change it intentionally?

This is completely wild speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if, since #1393 and #1408 subverted his also done-to-death "I feel old" schtick, he's realized he has a lot of repetitive material. Is it possible that, like my noticing I open a lot of paragraphs with "I" and "There", he's taking steps to avoid becoming completely repetitive? Is it possible that he reads my blog and said to himself "This Greg guy sure is smart, no wonder he got retweeted by Dara O Briain that one time. I should take his advice."

Well, probably not, but it does look like our boy Randy might be actively trying to improve on the originality front. Let's hope he is, and let's hope it sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment