2014-02-23

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1331 - "FREQUENCY"



Wow… that’s sure hilarious, Randy. I can’t imagine going through life without the awesome hilarity of knowing roughly how often someone in Denver orders a pizza.
This comic has further problems, one being that it isn’t really a comic, but if we at xkcdisntfunny.blogspot.com limited ourselves to commenting on things we considered comics, we’d be out of a third of our possible targets.

I remember way back in one of the earlier grades of elementary school (this was a while ago, I’m fuzzy on the details, but bear with me) one of my teachers brought out a board with lights on it, and each light had a little caption above it. When they pressed a button on the back of the board, all the lights started blinking in intervals, basically like this comic, although I’m fairly certain it was more limited to “birth”, “death”, “a car is built”, and didn’t have all the cheap sex references that I guess are supposed to be the punchline (more like the punchl-INANE if you ask me!).

I remember one of my classmates actually got really scared by it (I think his name was Cameron, but that’s probably wrong) and asked if he died the light would go on at the exact moment he keeled over. And they had to explain to him (and all of us, honestly, we were little idiots) that no, the board wasn’t psychic, it just showed the average rate of the thing. And after that, the board seemed a lot less exciting and magical.
I wonder if he’ll update this comic when the birth rate/death rate/rate of car manufacturing in China changes significantly, or if he’ll leave it to be a relic of a less civilized age, when things like this were repeatedly reblogged to my dashboard by people I thought I could respect.

Also, I am calling bullshit on “a Sagittarius named Amelia drinks a soda”. That’s an extremely rough estimate at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment