2014-02-11

#1328 - UPDATE



Commenting on this comic actually gave me an explanation for a complaint I’d seen in the other two XKCD hate-blogs. I’d seen both of them complain about “GOOMHR [Get Out Of My Head Randall] Bait”, but I shrugged it off, since the more important issue to me was that the comic wasn’t funny. Little did I know as I read those websites, long, long ago, before Bomb the Music Industry! broke up (those magnificent unicorns of ska, them), that being GOOMHR was the main reason the comic wasn’t funny.
GOOMHR Bait isn’t the problem in and of itself. After all, comedy is supposed to be relatable. I have at least ten hilarious jokes that are intelligent, witty, and -by the way- require an in-depth knowledge of the history and culture of the U.S.S.R. (I actually do, and they are awesome, but you wouldn’t get them (you idiot) so I’m not telling you them). The problem with GOOMHR Bait like this comic is that it doesn’t expand beyond being relatable.

Yes, Randy, that is something I and probably a lot of other people do. Congratulations, you know a semi-common behavior. They way you extend this into an actual joke is by twisting with our expectations. Exaggerating the circumstances slightly isn’t enough. What if it was a perfectly normal update and bald dude reminds himself later, but then his computer catches on fire, and “Tell your children about reminding later” scrolls across the screen? That’d be hysterical, I assume!

Also in the third panel the guys head is separate from his body.


On a serious note, let's have a brief moment of sadness and then a big loud two and a half minutes of drunken singalong for the breakup of Bomb the Music Industry!, the maker(s) of ten really good albums and Goodbye Cool World (also there are eight bootleg live shows floating around, but only two or three of them have better than "i guess i can get used to this" on a recording quality scale). Jeff Rosenstock, you had some unappealing facial hair, but I think that's why we loved you. Godspeed you and godspeed the companions that helped you make such amazing noise bombing the music industry throughout the last decade. 

I'll try and get into your next music project before it goes on a hiatus from touring next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment