2013-12-26

#1308 - CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

 


I'm a day late and I'm sorry. It was Christmas and it was my second post. For a Christmas present, Randy has given me a truly wonderful gift: the exact knowledge of why the other two xkcd hate blogs stopped posting, or at least, a big part of the reason.

How many times can you say the same thing in different ways? Even the most complicated sentence can only be rephrased a certain number of times. Think about chicken crossing the road jokes. Over time, just about every way of getting the same concept across is used, even multiple times.

So how many times can one person, or even multiple people, say “The joke isn’t funny.” About the same webcomic?

This isn’t even a case where I didn’t understand it and had to look the background up. I got the spectrum maps were supposed to be (going from left to right, top to bottom) a fire, a star, and Christmas tree lights. But that doesn’t sound like a setup and punchline. That sounds like the setup, if that. I don’t even mind people taking a break for Christmas or birthdays or whatever, but if you’re going to put something up on Christmas, for god’s sake, don’t do what Randy did here.

This is literally a picture of people sitting by a fire, next to a Christmas tree, with a science-y lens put over everything. It’s like he needed to fill a geek quota for the month. It would have been better without the spectrum thing, because then I could just go “D’aw. That’s cute. It’s Christmas, I’ll give him a pass.” Instead I looked for the joke in this, when there is none. How is this funny? Why would Randy think this would be funny? There’s probably a way to add a punchline to this to make it at least worth a smirk (maybe one of the lights is off-color and someone adjusts the spectrum to the correct color?) but I am not going to waste my time completing Randall Monroe’s jokes for him, especially not on Christmas vacation.

 

For bonus points, he appears to have gotten the fire’s spectrum wrong, at least according to the forums. I’m sure he was just too busy with the artwork to double check his math work.

No comments:

Post a Comment